Tuesday, May 31, 2022

A Puppy Cake for Kids

In a world of Pinterest Perfection—welcome to your 1980's homemade cake fest! I'm your girl for quick, cute and inexpensive. 

I searched quite a bit to try to find a model cake and directions for a dog or puppy cake and I was unable to find much--other than elaborate ones I'd not even attempt. I decided to post this here in case someone's child longs for their parent to make them a dog cake as my daughter has twice now. 


The final product. 



How it began. You can see two 8 inch round cakes, one cut in half and used as big puppy ears.




I used buttercream frosting for the round portion snd a different shade which was caramel frosting for the ears. I laid it on thick and using the end of the spreader, made it look textured to appear as fur.

I used chocolate Twizzlers sliced thin and manipulated for the mouth, chocolate chips for the noise (I even smashed some to fill in any holes). Then I used candy called, Air heads for the tongue. I simply cut it to look right.They actually have a seam down them vertically so it worked perfectly. 

Using a circle dough cutter as a guide, I placed chopped Heath candy (for baking) onto the frosting to make the light tan patch, then frosted the bottom of a chocolate chip for the eye on top. I used another piece of the chocolate Twizzler for the eyebrow and a simple chocolate chip for the other eye. 
And, finally the blue bow was made with the Airhead candy as well. It's very easy to shape, but a warning, it melts extremely quickly in the heat. 






No comments: