Friday, July 28, 2023

Best Dill Pickles [Refrigerator Pickles.]

As someone who absolutely loves pickles, I was thrilled at the simplicity of the recipe.

I have kept the very first index card I wrote with the recipe on it. It is many, many pickles old and has many markings of use. [See photo above.] Many friends have asked for this recipe so I know it's a good one. I enjoy making them throughout the year, but especially during Summer when the dill and cucumbers are in season. 

These are known as "refrigerator pickles." The original recipe noted to refrigerate them for three days before trying. Mmmm. Hmmmm. I try them within hours and they only get better each day. I do not know exactly how long they last but as my friend said "They're in vinegar, they're fine."

So without adding unnecessary and cumbersome text to this latest blog post, I'll keep it as simple as the recipe. 

Let me know if you try it. 

Boil the brine (water, vinegar, kosher salt)

Place cucumbers, sliced however you'd like, in the containers. Add garlic, dill and anything else you'd like (onions, crushed red pepper, black pepper)

Once brine is boiled, pour it over the cucumbers.

That is all. Here are some details: 


Bathe the cukes in cold water and a little vinegar to clean them.
Ten min will do.
Get your containers ready!
You'll only need three measuring cups.

Wash that dill also. If you don't have fresh, just add dried to your containers, it's fine.




Get those fresh garlic cloves ready. Peel and slice or leave whole. The pickled garlic is delicious to eat as well.



Salt out. I use Kosher every time.



Make your brine by adding the measured water, white vinegar and salt to a big pot. Bring to a boil.

As your brine boils, cut the cucumbers, add them along with the dill and garlic pieces to your containers.
When the brine is boiled, pour it over the cucumbers until they are covered. I use the large measuring cup or ladel.

Extra bring leftover? Pickle something else. Pickled onions? I just use the same brine and I added a teaspoon of honey to each jar. I also added dill to one just to see how it would taste.


Save those jar to use for pickling!
I repurpose and add my own labels. 


Enjoy!

No comments: