Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Joseph's Forgiveness

Over the past few months, I've often thought of Joseph. As in, Joseph from Genesis. You know, the Joseph whose brothers hated him and sold him into slavery. In Genesis 37, it talks a little bit about his brothers' hatred for him as he was pasturing the family flock. Genesis 37::4 say "His brothers saw that their father loved him more than all his brothers; and so they hated him and could not speak to him on friendly terms." Verse 5 tells of Joseph telling his brothers a dream he had, but they hated him even more. He plead with them to listen to him, but they wouldn't listen, instead in verse 8, they say, "Are you actually going to reign over us? Or are you really going to rule over us? So they hated him even more...later they plot to kill him, only to sell him into slavery. Through many circumstances orchestrated by the Lord, Joseph is made ruler of Egypt and one day his long lost brothers enter his kingdom looking for grain for survival. Joseph, reveals himself to them. Shocked brothers, who not only are confused to find Joseph alive, but king! Joseph's response in Genesis 45:5? "Now do not be grieved or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life." In verse 8 he says, "Now therefore, it was not you sent me here, but God;"
This has been such an inspiration for me about forgiveness. Whenever I start to get bitter about how someone has treated me, I have to remind myself that God orchestrates things and God allowed it. If I remain angry, really I'm questioning God's decision and ultimately, His Sovereignty. We can all grovel and things often come up as reminders that feels like pouring salt on an open wound but God is good to allow me to be reminded of Joseph's response and I too, want to be generous with such an outlook. I'm so thankful for the examples of men and women that God provided for us in the Word. Our lives may be totally different, but we share the same God.

1 comment:

JavaMama said...

Amen! Such encouragement for such a time in my life, thank you :0).

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli